Excellence by Design
We are a 24-hours-per-day, 7-days-per-week healthcare facility. We have one of the highest staffing ratios for facilities like ours in the Greater Rochester area, employing 217 full- and part-time people to serve our residents and their families. As a member of The Maplewood community, you can go to bed every night with comfort in the knowledge that you or your loved ones are being cared for by the very best. We are proud of our staff and what they do each and every day.
Providing the Best Means Choosing the Best
Prior to any applicant being considered for employment we follow these steps:
- Personal in-depth interview done by the department head and/or HR Director
- Verification of all previous employment including any gaps of employment
- A minimum of 3 reference checks
- Criminal history record checks for Wayne and Monroe County
- For our LPNs and RNs: an online verification of credentials using the Office of the Professionals website including a search for any disciplinary actions on file.
- For all other applicants: an online verification using the NYS Nurse Aide Registry website. If they are a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) this shows us that their certification is active, any self-reported felonies or misdemeanors and any convictions or findings of resident abuse. If not a CNA, it confirms that there has never been any negative CNA history. The Maplewood only uses Certified Nursing Assistants who have completed the approved NYS CNA class, passed both the clinical and written exam and have received their certification from the New York State Department of Health.
Once these items have been completed and all reports have been reviewed and are acceptable, the applicant is given a conditional offer of employment contingent on a post offer/pre-employment physical exam. This exam assures us that the applicant can perform the essential physical requirements of their job, which is important to both the safety of the employee and our residents.
All employees are fingerprinted with the exception of Title VIII Professionals, who have a stringent background check done as part of the licensure process. These fingerprints are sent to the Department of Health who in turn sends them to both the Department of Criminal Justice (DCJS) and the FBI, where a national search is completed. At the same time their name is added to the Department of Health database for continuous monitoring throughout their employment with The Maplewood for any criminal activity. If any activity is noted, The Maplewood would be notified and the appropriate action would be immediately taken.
Learning The Maplewood Way from the Start
Our goal is to provide individualized care for each resident to the highest level of quality available. Our in-house CNA training program is a significant contributor to forging deeper connections with residents, greater job satisfaction among our CNAs and lower turnover. This in turn has a positive effect on quality of care.
Getting to Know
Kathy Talarczyk and Yvonne Arnold
Kathy and Yvonne share how their long partnership and personal experiences have forged a strong working relationship caring for our residents and contributed to their roles at The Maplewood.